ARTASCENT VALUES YOUR INVOLVEMENT WITH US AND IS COMMITTED TO MAINTAINING THE CONFIDENCE OF OUR WEBSITE VISITORS AND CREATIVE COMMUNITY
This privacy statement explains ArtAscent privacy practices concerning its Services.
Personal Data we collect
We may collect Personal Data for the following reasons:
- To provide and maintain the Services, including to:
- facilitate and process Call Application submissions;
- match your Call Application with your PayPal payment;
- write an artist/writer profile article about you if you are selected;
- promote your artwork/writing and our magazine in our social media and marketing;
- deliver the newsletter if you have signed up for it;
- communicate with you about your Call Application, the Services, or ArtAscent.
- To communicate with you about changes in our Service.
- To manage our business needs, such as monitoring, analyzing, and improving the Services’ performance and functionality.
- To detect, prevent and address technical and security issues.
- To comply with our obligations, including to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- To respond to your requests and provide customer support.
The amount and type of information that we gather depends on the nature of the interaction. In general, we do not intentionally collect sensitive Personal Data (i.e. financial, health or racial data). The following Services features require you to supply Personal Data:
- Applying to calls for entry – If you wish to submit a Call Application, we request information, such as your name, email address, website address, country, bio summary, images/stories, image/story information. Your information may published in the ArtAscent magazine, website artist directory, social spaces and other ArtAscent marketing (see Terms for more usage details). https://artascent.com/terms/
- Themed call application payments – ArtAscent retrieves your PayPal account name, email address and amount paid from PayPal in order to verify that you have completed payment. ArtAscent does not access, process or store your financial information, which is handled by a third-party payment processor, PayPal.
- Subscribing to newsletters – The ArtAscent newsletter is our principal method of notifying everyone of new calls for entries, upcoming deadlines, finalists, events, opportunities and offers and other important information. If you would like to get this notification, you can provide your name and email address and opt in to receiving ArtAscent email announcements. If at any time you wish to stop receiving these emails, you can opt out by clicking on the manage subscriptions link at the bottom of the email to update your communication preferences.
- Purchasing/downloading magazines – The ArtAscent magazine showcases selected artists and writers and is available for purchase/download. ArtAscent does not access, process or store your financial information, which is handled by a third-party payment processor, MagCloud/Blurb.
- Supplying testimonials – We might contact you with a request to provide information that would appear, as a testimonial or case study, on our website and in our marketing communications. In this case, we would seek explicit, written consent to use this information.
- Communicating with us – We may collect additional information from or about you when you communicate with us or respond to a survey.
Disclosing or sharing Personal Data
We will not rent or sell your Personal Data to others.
ArtAscent shares the information it collects about you in the following ways:
- Agents, Consultants and Service Providers – We may share your Personal Data with third parties for the purpose of providing the Services to you. These contracted individuals or companies may assist with Call Application processing, magazine production, website updates, marketing support, content delivery, email, hosting, analytics, payment processing, providing sales leads, and customer support. When we employ another company to perform a function of this nature, we only provide them with the information that they need to perform their specific function. These companies are not permitted to use any Personal Data that we share with them for any other purpose aside from providing services to us.
- Advertising – Based on cookies and other tracking devices, we may work with advertising companies to display ads that may be of interest to you.
- Business Transactions – To provide information to a third party in the event of any disposition of all or any portion of our business (i.e. reorganization, sale, or assignment).
- Aggregated or De-identified Data – We may disclose or use aggregated or de-identified information with third-party providers for research purposes relating to our Services.
- As Required by Law or Similar Investigations – To comply with legal obligations or investigate potential legal violations. ArtAscent may be required to share personal data in response to lawful requests from public authorities including to meet national security and/or law enforcement requirements.
- Safety – We may disclose your information to protect and defend the safety of ArtAscent in connection with investigating and preventing fraud or security issues.
- Consent – ArtAscent may share your information with your consent.
The Service may link to third-party services, like a business’s or an artist’s URL. Except as set forth herein, we do not share your personal information with them, and are not responsible for their privacy practices. We suggest you read the privacy policies on or applicable to all such third-party services.
Cookies and tracking technologies
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on a computer or other device and is used to identify the user or device and to collect information. Cookies are typically assigned to one of four categories, depending on their function and intended purpose: strictly necessary cookies, performance cookies, functional cookies, and cookies for targeting and advertising purposes. You can find more information about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu.
- _gat, _gid and _ga by Google Universal Analytics for performance
- cookies by AdSense for online advertising
You are free to block, delete, or disable cookies if your device permits so. You can manage your cookies and your cookie preferences in your browser or device settings. However, some features of our Services may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled.
Social network widgets
Third-party websites, services and app integrations
For more information, please see Cookies and Technical Information.
Your data rights and choices
- Personal Data – You may decline to provide Personal Data when it is requested by ArtAscent but certain Services or all of the Services may be unavailable to you. You have certain rights in respect of your Personal Data. In particular, you have a right of access, correction, and to be forgotten. If you wish to exercise these rights, please contact us. Understand that sometimes we have to have your data in order to interact with you, and so exercising some or all of these rights might impact your ability to use our Services.
- Device-level information – The device you use to access the Services may collect information about you, including User usage data that ArtAscent may then collect and use. For information about your ability to restrict the collection and use of such information, please use the settings available in the device.
- Opt out of newsletter communications – You will only be subscribed to our newsletter when you request a subscription. You may opt out by following the link at the bottom of each newsletter you receive.
- Opt-in and opt-out of third-party ad networks – For more information on third-party advertising-related cookies and interest-based advertising, and to learn how to opt-out of these practices with companies participating in industry self-regulation, please visit:
- Opt-in and opt-out of Google Analytics – For Google Analytics Advertising Features, you can opt-out through Google Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means (for example, the NAI’s consumer opt-out listed above). You may find out more and opt-out. You can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize the Google Display Network ads by visiting the Google Ads Settings page. You may prevent Google from recording and processing data on your use of our website (including your device’s IP address) and storing such information in a cookie by downloading and installing a browser deactivation add-on.
- Opt out of Facebook – Meta Platforms, Inc. provides Facebook remarketing service. You can learn more about interest-based advertising from Facebook. To opt-out from Facebook’s interest-based ads follow their opt-out instructions.
- Opt out of Twitter – X Corp. provides Twitter remarketing service. To opt-out from Twitter’s interest-based ads, follow their opt-out instructions.
Location of Personal Data
We are a business located in Canada. When we store your data, it is stored in Canada and the United States, locations outside of our direct control (for instance, on hosting servers and clouds). Data we collect may be routed or transferred internationally by us or by our business partners during the course of providing products and services to you and others.
Retention and deletion of Personal Data
ArtAscent stores Call Application data for at least two years, and content in the magazine issues for as long as that magazine issue is available for purchase/download/viewing. ArtAscent does not provide membership accounts in which Personal Data resides. When ArtAscent no longer has a legitimate business need to process your information, or no longer has a need to keep your Personal Data for any legal, tax, or regulatory reason, (generally seven years) we will either delete or anonymize your Personal Data.
Protection of Personal Data
ArtAscent takes all reasonable steps to protect information received from you from loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and/or destruction. We maintain technical, physical, and administrative safeguards to secure your information, and we use industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption for your data that is transferred over the internet. A third-party security service monitors ArtAscent.com for malware to further help safeguard data. We do not process any credit card information. Despite its use of encryption, ArtAscent cannot guarantee any method of transmission of information over the internet is 100% secure. We are not responsible for protecting any Personal Data that we share with a third-party based on an account connection that you have authorized.
The Services are not directed to children under the age of majority. Our Call Applications are for people 18+ years of age. We do not knowingly collect information, including Personal Data, from minors or other individuals who are not legally able to use our Services. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected Personal Data from a minor, we will promptly delete it, unless we are legally obligated to retain such data. Contact us if you believe that we have mistakenly or unintentionally collected information from a minor.
International data transfers
Our operations are supported by a network of computers, cloud-based servers, and other infrastructure and information technology, including, but not limited to, third-party service providers. We and our third-party service providers store and Process your Personal Data outside of Canada, in the United States of America and elsewhere in the world. By using our Services, you consent to your Personal Data being transferred to other countries, including countries that have different data protection rules than your country. We do not represent that our Services are appropriate or available in any particular jurisdiction.
Services is the www.ArtAscent.com website.
Call Applications include ArtAscent calls for artists and calls for writers. Selected applicants are usually exhibited online, published and promoted.
Personal Data includes individual information by which you as a natural person are or can be identified.