ArtAscent values your involvement with us and is committed to maintaining the confidence of our website visitors and creative community
This privacy statement explains ArtAscent privacy practices concerning its Services.
Personal Data we collect
We may collect Personal Data for the following reasons:
- To provide and maintain the Services, including to:
- facilitate and process Call Application submissions;
- match your Call Application with your PayPal payment;
- write an artist/writer profile article about you if you are selected;
- promote your artwork/writing and our magazine in our social media and marketing;
- deliver the newsletter if you have signed up for it;
- communicate with you about your Call Application, the Services, or ArtAscent.
- To communicate with you about changes in our Service.
- To manage our business needs, such as monitoring, analyzing, and improving the Services’ performance and functionality.
- To detect, prevent and address technical and security issues.
- To comply with our obligations, including to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- To respond to your requests and provide customer support.
The amount and type of information that we gather depends on the nature of the interaction. In general, we do not intentionally collect sensitive Personal Data (i.e. financial, health or racial data). The following Services features require you to supply Personal Data:
- Applying to calls for entry – If you wish to submit a Call Application, we request information, such as your name, email address, website address, country, bio summary, images/stories, image/story information. Your information may published in the ArtAscent magazine, website artist directory, social spaces and other ArtAscent marketing (see Terms for more usage details). https://www.artascent.com/terms/
- Themed call application payments – ArtAscent retrieves your PayPal account name, email address and amount paid from PayPal in order to verify that you have completed payment. ArtAscent does not access, process or store your financial information, which is handled by a third-party payment processor, PayPal.
- Subscribing to newsletters – The ArtAscent newsletter is our principle method of notifying everyone of new calls for entries, upcoming deadlines, finalists, events, opportunities and offers and other important information. If you would like to this notification, you can provide your name and email address and opt in to receiving ArtAscent email announcements. If at any time you wish to stop receiving these emails, you can opt out by clicking on the manage subscriptions link at the bottom of the email to update your communication preferences.
- Purchasing/downloading magazines – The ArtAscent magazine showcases selected artists and writers and is available for purchase/download. ArtAscent does not access, process or store your financial information, which is handled by a third-party payment processor, MagCloud/Blurb.
- Supplying testimonials – We might contact you with a request to provide information that would appear, as a testimonial or case study, on our website and in our marketing communications. In this case, we would seek explicit, written consent to use this information.
- Communicating with us – We may collect additional information from or about you when you communicate with us or respond to a survey.
Disclosing or sharing Personal Data
We will not rent or sell your Personal Data to others.
ArtAscent shares the information it collects about you in the following ways:
- Agents, Consultants and Service Providers – We may share your Personal Data with third parties for the purpose of providing the Services to you. These contracted individuals or companies may assist with Call Application processing, magazine production, website updates, marketing support, content delivery, email, hosting, analytics, payment processing, providing sales leads, and customer support. When we employ another company to perform a function of this nature, we only provide them with the information that they need to perform their specific function. These companies are not permitted to use any Personal Data that we share with them for any other purpose aside from providing services to us.
- Advertising – Based on the cookies and other tracking devices, we may work with advertising companies to display ads that may be of interest to you.
- Business Transactions – To provide information to a third party in the event of any disposition of all or any portion of our business (i.e. reorganization, sale, or assignment).
- Aggregated or De-identified Data – We may disclose or use aggregated or de-identified information with third-party providers for research purposes relating to our Services.
- As Required by Law or Similar Investigations – To comply with legal obligations or investigate potential legal violations. ArtAscent may be required to share personal data in response to lawful requests from public authorities including to meet national security and/or law enforcement requirements.
- Safety – We may disclose your information to protect and defend the safety of ArtAscent in connection with investigating and preventing fraud or security issues.
- Consent – ArtAscent may share your information with your consent.
The Service may link to third-party services, like a business’s or an artist’s URL. Except as set forth herein, we do not share your personal information with them, and are not responsible for their privacy practices. We suggest you read the privacy policies on or applicable to all such third-party services.
Cookies and tracking technologies
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on a computer or other device and is used to identify the user or device and to collect information. Cookies are typically assigned to one of four categories, depending on their function and intended purpose: strictly necessary cookies, performance cookies, functional cookies, and cookies for targeting and advertising purposes. You can find more information about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu.
- _gat, _gid and _ga by Google Universal Analytics for performance
- cookies by AdSense for online advertising
You are free to block, delete, or disable cookies if your device permits so. You can manage your cookies and your cookie preferences in your browser or device settings. However, some features of our Services may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled.
Social network widgets
Third-party websites, services and app integrations
Payment Processor, Printer and Distributor
By subscribing to our newsletter, you agree to the receipt of the newsletter and the procedures described. We do this in the pursuit of our legitimate interest of the delivery of our Services and the marketing our business.
The registration for our newsletter is handled through an opt-in procedure.In order to register for the newsletter, we only need a first name and an email address.
There are cases where we direct the newsletter recipients to the iContact websites. For example, our newsletters contain a link with which the newsletter recipients can access the newsletters online (for example in the case of display problems in the email program). Furthermore, newsletter recipients can subsequently change their data (like their email address).
You may terminate the receipt of our newsletter at any time, which means revoke your consent. You will find a link to unsubscribe from our newsletter at the bottom of each newsletter.
Online Advertising, Social Media
Analytics, Online Advertising, Cloud Drive Integration, Authentication Provider
We use Google Analytics for the purposes of the adequate design and continuous optimization of our Services. Google Analytics works with cookies and creates pseudomonysed usage profiles, which enable an analysis of your use of our Services. Information stored in such cookies (such as browser type/version, operating system used, referrer URL, Hostname of the accessing computer, time of server request) are usually transmitted to and stored on Google’s servers in the USA. We do this in the pursuit of our legitimate interests of better understanding how our Services are used and to report aggregated usage statistics. Due to the activation of the IP anonymization (IP masking), Google will truncate and therefore anonymize the IP address of your device within the European Union or the European Economic Area.
View information about how Google uses your information.
The IP address of visitors, user ID of logged in users, and username of login attempts are conditionally logged to check for malicious activity and to protect the website from specific kinds of attacks. Examples of conditions when logging occurs include login attempts, log out requests, requests for suspicious URLs, changes to website content, and password updates. Security logs are retained for 120 days.
This website is part of a network of websites that protect against distributed brute force attacks. To enable this protection, the IP address of visitors attempting to log into the website is shared with a service provided by ithemes.com.
Akismet, a service of Automattic, collects information about visitors who comment on websites that use its Akismet anti-spam service. The information it collects depends on how the User sets up Akismet for the website, but typically includes the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and website URL (along with other information directly provided by the commenter such as their name, username, email address, and the comment itself).
Other relevant privacy policies
Cloud Storage Services
Online Advertising, Social Media
Online Advertising, Social Media
Online Advertising, Social Media
Your data rights and choices
- Personal Data – You may decline to provide Personal Data when it is requested by ArtAscent but certain Services or all of the Services may be unavailable to you. You have certain rights in respect of your Personal Data. In particular, you have a right of access, correction, and to be forgotten. If you wish to exercise these rights, please contact us. Understand that sometimes we have to have your data in order to interact with you, and so exercising some or all of these rights might impact your ability to use our Services.
- Device-level information – The device you use to access the Services may collect information about you, including User usage data that ArtAscent may then collect and use. For information about your ability to restrict the collection and use of such information, please use the settings available in the device.
- Opt out of newsletter communications – You will only be subscribed to our newsletter when you request a subscription. You may opt out by following the link at the bottom of each newsletter you receive.
- Opt-in and opt-out of third-party ad networks – For more information on third-party advertising-related cookies and interest-based advertising, and to learn how to opt-out of these practices with companies participating in industry self-regulation, please visit:
- Opt-in and opt-out of Google Analytics – For Google Analytics Advertising Features, you can opt-out through Google Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means (for example, the NAI’s consumer opt-out listed above). You may find out more and opt-out. You can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize the Google Display Network ads by visiting the Google Ads Settings page. You may prevent Google from recording and processing data on your use of our website (including your device’s IP address) and storing such information in a cookie by downloading and installing a browser deactivation add-on.
- Opt out of Facebook – Facebook remarketing service is provided by Facebook Inc. You can learn more about interest-based advertising from Facebook. To opt-out from Facebook’s interest-based ads follow their opt-out instructions.
- Opt out of Twitter – Twitter remarketing service is provided by Twitter Inc. To opt-out from Twitter’s interest-based ads, follow their opt-out instructions.
Location of Personal Data
We are a business located in Canada. When we store your data, it is stored in Canada and the United States, locations outside of our direct control (for instance, on hosting servers and clouds). Data we collect may be routed or transferred internationally by us or by our business partners during the course of providing products and services to you and others.
Retention and deletion of Personal Data
ArtAscent stores Call Application data for at least two years, and content in the magazine issues for as long as that magazine issue is available for purchase/download/viewing. ArtAscent does not provide membership accounts in which Personal Data resides. When ArtAscent no longer has a legitimate business need to process your information, or no longer has a need to keep your Personal Data for any legal, tax, or regulatory reason, (generally seven years) we will either delete or anonymize your Personal Data.
Protection of Personal Data
ArtAscent takes all reasonable steps to protect information received from you from loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and/or destruction. We maintain technical, physical, and administrative safeguards to secure your information, and we use industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption for your data that is transferred over the internet. A third-party security service monitors ArtAscent.com for malware to further help safeguard data. We do not process any credit card information. Despite its use of encryption, ArtAscent cannot guarantee any method of transmission of information over the internet is 100% secure. We are not responsible for protecting any Personal Data that we share with a third-party based on an account connection that you have authorized.
The Services are not directed to children under the age of majority. Our Call Applications are for people 18+ years of age. We do not knowingly collect information, including Personal Data, from minors or other individuals who are not legally able to use our Services. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected Personal Data from a minor, we will promptly delete it, unless we are legally obligated to retain such data. Contact us if you believe that we have mistakenly or unintentionally collected information from a minor.
International data transfers
Our operations are supported by a network of computers, cloud-based servers, and other infrastructure and information technology, including, but not limited to, third-party service providers. We and our third-party service providers store and Process your Personal Data outside of Canada, in the United States of America and elsewhere in the world. By using our Services, you consent to your Personal Data being transferred to other countries, including countries that have different data protection rules than your country. We do not represent that our Services are appropriate or available in any particular jurisdiction.
Services is the www.ArtAscent.com website.
Call Applications include ArtAscent calls for artists and calls for writers. Selected applicants are exhibited online, published and promoted.
Personal Data includes individual information by which you as a natural person are or can be identified.